Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4 and Ben's Birthday

HAPPY JULY 4TH!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BENJAMIN!!

We decided to go to the Phoenix Zoo to celebrate Ben's birthday and July 4th. I was struggling to find something to satisfy both Ben's birthday and do something for July 4th. Also, I wanted to include G&G Anderson and G&G Adams and the O'Briens, so I wanted to find some place about half way for everyone. Because we are in Arizona, I did not plan a birthday party and I didn't want to just go to dinner. I wanted to do something special for Ben. I was looking for something indoors, like an aquarium, but we couldn't find anything like that in Arizona (hhhmmm, weird.). We found that the Phoenix Zoo was having a Safari Nights program from 6p-9p. The heat was still a problem...102 degrees at 6pm...and made things more than a little toasty :o) But, we pushed through and, I think, Ben had a good time. A representative from the Zoo bought Ben a snow cone and some popcorn ~ that was really sweet. The only thing Ben asked for was a "Finding Nemo cake" and I felt really bad that we didn't go all out getting the cake. Instead, we opted for store bought cupcakes and a Finding Nemo candle. I still think Ben enjoyed himself. We left at 9:oop and only saw a few fireworks on the way home ~ I think it might have been too dry and they cancelled some of the firework displays...not sure, though.

Some favorite things from the Zoo:
  • The baby orangutan
  • The otters
  • The fountains
  • The turtles
  • Watching the small giraffe run...really run...all over the enclosure
  • Watching Ben open gifts...he really, really liked the hot wheels race track from G&G Anderson
  • Spending time with the O'Briens
  • Spending time with both sets of Grandparents

For Ben's actual birthday today, we went out to breakfast and then let him finish opening some gifts. We went for another swim and then Scott and I decided to take advantage of having the grandparents to watch the kiddos while we went out to dinner. It was a quick outing since it was Ben's birthday...I didn't want to stay out too long. It was nice to get out and have dinner with just the two of us.

We are packed and ready to head home tomorrow. I am already sad. I want to stay in Arizona.

No comments: